Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Super Mario 64

I always liked Super Mario 64 when I was a kid. I remember playing it at my aunt's house all the time.

A few months ago, an ad popped onto my screen out of nowhere as I was watching gameplay footage on Youtube. It was one of those generic ads for online stores. I was about to close the window when I realized it was showing a mint condition copy of Super Mario 64 for sale.

There was a picture of it and everything. It looked legit. I usually don't trust these things, but the feeling of nostalgia overpowered me. I definitely wanted to buy it, but why wouldn't I? It was my favorite game as a kid.

The whole business was peculiar. The owner of the game wanted the buyer to send an envelope containing ten dollars to an address listed on the site instead of using something like PayPal. What made things stranger was when I tried to gain access to the website after encountering...problems with the game. Even though I had bookmarked the page (so I KNOW I didn't get the URL wrong), the link led to a 404 page.

A few days after the money was mailed, however, I got a package containing the game. The first thing I noticed was that the 'official sticker' with Mario flying in the air was missing. In its place was a piece of duct tape with 'Mario' crudely written on it in permenent marker. I felt a bit ripped off, but as long as the game worked I didn't care.

I got out my Nintendo 64 and put the cartridge in. The screen turned on with the familiar Mario head you could stretch and twist aimlessly. I remembered laughing all the time at the results, so I decided to mess around for old times' sake.

I moved the cursor over to Mario's ear and pulled it to Elven proportions. I was going to do the same to the other ear when the TV suddenly produced loud static. The model for Mario's head started twisting in ways I didn't even know possible. Random sound effects from the game started playing, too. I could also hear a faint voice whispering in what I think was Japanese. The voice was stammering and whimpering.

I immediately shut off the game and tried again. I didn't bother with the Mario head this time. I just selected a new file and started playing.

When I selected the file, the game skipped the opening monologue with Peach and the courtyard outside. Mario was just placed right inside the castle. Bowser didn't say anything, either.

I tried to ignore it and continued playing, but I eventually noticed there was no music...just dead silence. There weren't any Toads around to talk to, either. The only door I could enter was the one that led to Bob-omb Battlefield. The other doors wouldn't respond to anything I did.

The portrait to Bob-omb Battlefield wasn't the usual picture. It was a stark white canvas. I was still trying to convince myself that these were just minor glitches and wouldn't affect the gameplay at all.

When I entered the portrait, the image changed from a blank canvas to the Lethal Lava Land painting. You know, that slightly unsettling image of the flame with the evil smile? That's when I started getting really suspicious.

The mission menu came up and yet another weird detail was present. Instead of the first mission being "Big Bob-omb on the Summit," it was "TURN BACK." I have no idea what drove me to press A, but I did.

The level seemed fairly normal. Everything was how I remembered it. I thought I could finally enjoy my favorite childhood game, but then I saw him...Luigi. I was absolutely shocked. He was never in this game. His model wasn't even a Mario palette swap. He had a completely original model.

Luigi just stood there until I tried to approach him, then he started running away at unexpected speeds. I followed suite and went through the level. Strange things happened as I pursued him.

Each time I would pick up a coin, the enemies and music would get slower and the scenery would look darker in color and more morbid. It kept gradually getting worse until I collected a fifth coin. That's when the music stopped. The enemies lay down on the ground like they were dead. I was freaked out, but kept chasing Luigi.

I went up the hill and no cannonballs rolled down trying to knock me over. I really wasn't surprised at this point. Luigi was always just at the edge of my sight as I ran. Once I reached the summit, I saw yet another object out of place.

It was a small cottage. That's all there was on top of the hill. Luigi was nowhere to be found. The cottage was odd-looking for a Mario game. It was old, plain, and broken down. Regardless of my fears at that moment, I had Mario enter the cottage.

As soon as the door closed, a disturbing picture of a hanged Luigi popped up along with a very frightening scare chord. It sounded like a violin screech accompanied by a loud piano banging. Mario fell to his knees and sobbed for roughly five minutes before the screen irised out.

I returned to the castle. Mario just slumped out of the painting. The image switched from the Lethal Lava Land portrait to the image of Luigi hanging himself. The room was different this time. It was now a small hallway. Toads with blank expressions and white robes lined the sides.

There was another painting at the opposite end of the hallway that completely and utterly scared me. It was a picture of my family. It wasn't a photo from the time Super Mario 64 was released, either. It was a very, very recent photo. I remember posing for it the weekend before.

I reached for the on/off switch on the N64. There was no way I was going to play any longer. However, the game was still on even after I flipped the switch. I flipped it back and forth, to no avail.

I tried unplugging the entire system, but the game never left the screen. I was still able to control mario, too. I couldn't just leave it on forever, so I kept playing. I went to the photo of my family and jumped in. Only one mission was available. It was called, "Run, Don't Walk." I selected the mission. Let's-a-go!

The level started in a flooded hallway with platforms floating on the water. Mario landed on one of these and the camera turned to show what was behind. A silent black voice was slowly approaching Mario. It didn't look like anything, not even finished graphics. It was a giant, blocky, black blob.

I started jumping from platform to platform. With no goal in sight, I kept running, the darkness slowly but surely gaining speed. This kept going on for what felt like hours and I began to doubt there would ever be an end. Mario was going in circles.

Finally, the black blob/void/thing caught up with Mario and enveloped him in darkness. He didn't scream or resist at all. It simply consumed him.

Mario fell out of the painting and back into the castle. One my three lives was gone. The room was different now, too. Some of the Toads were gone and the painting looked different. My family and I were in the same positions, but our bodies were partially decomposed. It looked too real to be photoshopped. It looked like someone took our dead bodies and posed them.

Regardless, I jumped into the painting again. There was still only one mission available. It was called, "I'm right here." I selected the mission and prepared for the worst. Mario landed in a small, dark room. There was no visible way out. The room was empty except for a piano in the corner.

I knew what that meant. I was stuck in there with the Mad Piano. I approached it and it started chasing me. There was no way to damage it, so I had no choice but to let Mario take damage.

When he lost all his health, the usual death animation didn't happen. Mario was simply mauled by the piano. He fell as his two dimensional blood and blocky guts spilled onto the floor.

The camera panned to a top-down view of his corpse. A distored version of the merry-go-round music from Big Boo's Haunt played as the screen slowl transitioned from the in-game shot to a sketch of Mario's dead body in the same view. It was very unsettling. I was crying softly as I gazed upon the image. I lost another life.

The photo of my family was shown again. We were even more rotten than before. The view zoomed into the painting, as if I was warping again, but I was greeted with a shot of Peach's Castle from the outside.

It was crumbling in ruin. The fields were on fire. The sky was pitch black. Bowser's laugh played on a loop in the background as children mockingly chanted, "You couldn't save her!"

This went on for a long time until a close-up of Peach's face, accompanied by an extremely loud screech, interrupted the loop without notice. Peach's mouth was wide open in a scream and her eyes were empty, black holes.

Mario fell out of the painting again. All of the Toads were gone. My family and I looked positively repulsive. Maggots were wriggling around in holes in our flesh. Guts were spilling out of our bodies. My dad's eye was hanging loose from its socket. It as too much to bear, but something still urged me to trudge on. I jumped into the painting, only one life remaining.

This time, there no title for the mission, just a blank space where the title should be. I selected the mission and Mario landed on a very small island in the middle of the ocean. There was a solitary sign that read, "DIVE." I did just as it said and entered the water.

The ocean was dark and empty. There were no fish and I wasn't able to see anything besides Mario. I swam downwards and, even though I kept going for a long time, Mario never ran out of breath. I counted roughly ten minutes of swimming before I decided to go back up.

Just as I turned Mario around, it came. A huge Unagi the Eel came out of nowhere and swallowed Mario whole. It went by so fast I wasn't sure what I saw. The Game Over screen didn't appear. All that happened was a fade out.

The photo of my family and I was shown again. We were skeletons at that point. Once again, it looked very real. I couldn't move the camera, either. It stayed focused on the picture. I pressed reset and chose my file, but it went back to the skeleton photo of my family.

I tried this about three more times before giving up. I desperately wanted to stop, but some force kept me from walking away. With nothing else to do, I decided to select the only other save file. The camera once again focused on the skeleton picture, but this time they were in a different position.

It was almost as if they were a different family.

30 comments:

  1. So you couldn't stop the game by unplugging it and all then you could magically reset it later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is obviously not real its a creepypasta

      Delete
    2. he is to give it to the next family

      Delete
  2. Another family? Am I slow or something is that a twist ending what is this I don't even

    ReplyDelete
  3. It means someone else played the game and got the same result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was a pretty good story.

    There was one big flaw.

    "I shut it off and turned it on again. I chose my file."
    Yeah, what happened to not being able to turn it off even by unplugging it?
    That just ruined the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait so the Japanese person at the beginning that was whimpering, at the end then "almost as if they were a different family" could he have killed that family? XD Also I got turned off reading this as soon as I read about the Japanese there are hell of an amount of flaws in this, especially the turning off of the console: Lol. Also Japanese thing I mentioned that was at the start kinda turned me off reading this, but I read it anyway to see if it would pick up. Either way, it was an alright read at first, got sort of rediculous later though. 2.5/5 Stars I suppose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled upon this story looking for images of the painting of Bob-omb Battlefield. At first, I thought it was legit, as in you actually bought some kind of creepy East-European hacked copy or something, and I was really freaked out for awhile. Up until the family portrait, however. The interesting thing is that this would be such an awesome prank to play on someone, if you could learn how to reprogram the cartridge. I'm sure many people would pay $10 for Super Mario 64, so you get the money, and the enjoyment of the prank. Very good story, the portrait and the un-shut-off-ability ruin its believability though. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. is that story true?

    ReplyDelete
  8. mario games and creepy pasta just dont mix like other games do...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't have any emotional effect on me like most creepy-pasta I read. 3/5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh verry good story. I enjoyed it very well. Although you are a begginer, you have a bright future with these. You soon may be as good as writer as Jadusable was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This story gave me an idea. There should be a story, or maybe a real video game, where the mission to save peach starts out normal, but the game keeps on getting more and more disturbing as it goes on until, at the end, its revealed that before the story started peach was killed by bowser, and mario has gone insane trying to save a princess who he subconciously knows is already dead. The game/story ends with him killing himself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked this pasta, the picture of his family, which randomly turned into another family, after he reset a game he previously said was unable to be reset even by unplugging the game itself turned me off a bit.

    Oh, and the fact that a game you just bought had a picture of your family before you even found the game makes it really unbelievable, unless you meant it to be a mind fuck as well.

    all in all 3.5/5 stars. It actually makes me want to play the game, other than the family portrait, it would be awsome to play something like that, as would the other creepy-pastanized games.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The black void thing really reminded me of that game, "Eversion". Not bad, 3/5

    ReplyDelete
  14. you should send this game to the angry video game nerd (don't really)

    ReplyDelete
  15. To AVGN? Oh I really want to see he plaing this xD Nice story bro, keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The reason he could shut it off afterwards was because there was nothing left to the game, it was over. The reason he could shut it off in the beginning was because the game was still warning him not to play.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Peach’s mouth was wide open as if she were screaming and her eyes were empty, black holes."

    Not even gonna lie, whenever somebody puts the "empty, black holes" line as disfigured eyes for a character in a Creepy Pasta I immediately think of 2D from the Gorillaz, and he's just so freaking adorable that I can't get scared by the visual that the author was trying to create. xD

    This story was pretty good -- I personally loved Super Mario 64 and would have loved for Luigi to be in it, albeit not the way he was in this story xP -- however there were quite a few flaws in the story that didn't mesh together with other things you had previously mentioned. Overall, I didn't totally love it, but I certainly liked. 3.5/5, maybe a 4/5. You've got a lot of potential for writing, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I was reading this last night but the ending was so lame I thought the site I was on just cut off the story. Now I find it and discover it's really the end. Disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. to those asking what happened with the whole not being able to turn off the system even by unplugging it, and then at the end being magically able to do so, at the end the game was finished with what it wanted to show the player... there was no more torment that it could bring upon the player other than somehow strangling him with the controller from what i can see, so the magic ended

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, awesome story! it was somewhat suspenseful and i kind of got lost at the end when you said the picture was like another family or something like that XD BUT it was a very good. I really enjoyed it.(;

    ReplyDelete
  21. Doesn't seem as legit as Zelda + Creepy Pasta.
    Still a good story though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. why are all the video game stories about nintendo games?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was creeped out at the end, but not scared. 1.5/5

    ReplyDelete
  24. He was trying to turn off the game, nothing worked, yet later on he was able to reset it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My printer just made a noise and it scared the hell out of me. Also, Luigi WAS in Super Mario 64/. You could switch to his character once you unlocked a few of the 4 door room thing with the secret level

    ReplyDelete