Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bottle

My damnation came in the form of a bottle.

No, not like that.

When I was a child, my best friend lived next to a little junkyard. Great place for a kid to hang out, a junkyard. Full of mystery and exciting discoveries. If you find anything nice, nobody minds if you take it except your parents (obviously). Well, not my friend's mom. Most of their bowls and plates came from that junkyard. Anyway...

One day a bunch of us were hanging out, dismantling a car. Some of us might have been interested in the parts, but I just thought breaking stuff was great. When we'd got the engine strewn everywhere, we set to work on the interior. Laying under one of the seats was a little glass bottle full of green, bubbly liquid.

Curiosity trumped hygeine in those days. I uncorked it and sniffed it. The smell was pleasant, minty, and a little floral. One kid dared me to drink it. It was a double-dog dare. I had to.

The taste was also pleasant and it warmed me on the way down. My body was filled with a strange, pleasant tingling. Nothing else happened, not until that night...

First effect: I couldn't sleep. I haven't needed sleep since. It's all right. I get a lot done.

The second effect came a month later. I started to cough things up. I was playing in the woods alone and I hacked up blood. Then there were chunks in my blood. Then I was puking. The entirety of my coiled long intestine came snaking up as I sat there quivering, tears on my cheeks and struggling to breathe. I was literally punking my guts up.

My mouth seemed to unhinge like a snake's to accomate my lungs. My heart was on my sleeve. The bloodstain would never have come out if I hadn't abandoned the clothes I was wearing. The police searched frantically for a missing person, but never found a thing.

I wasn't empty when I finished, however. New organs built up inside me. I could feel them and see them when I closed my eyes. They were nameless lumps and spirals springing out of nothing.

The third effect came two months later. I began to crave the water. I can't possibly describe the feeling of thirsty skin, but it was a desperate thirst. I left my parents' house one night and walked and walked until I came to a swamp. I moved in.

The murky, bug-filled water feel like home now, as they did all those years ago. I sit under the water, watching fish and salamanders get eaten by herons. I watch while waiting for my prey.

I'm sure you know what the fourth effect was. I'm typing this on the cell-phone of my latest victim. She was delicious. She smelled like fresh melons.

10 comments:

  1. ...did he become some kind of snake with arms or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. .....Gulp.... T-this is f-fake right? h-h-hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES... His cellphone would break in the water and he was living in the swamp so he didnt know where the shops are so he was stuck with no communication

      Delete
  3. I guess it is, Anonymous. Nothing like that can happen like this. '-'

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was by mngamojemo, a writer at Monolith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What was in that bottle? Innsmouth juice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never NEVER drink something you find in a junkyard even if you think it's your water bottle you droped and it land out of your sight! On another note can I get some of that that sounds like what I need but I can't get hurt or they would act like i'm freaking e.t.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think this was supposed to have something to do with shrek at least thats what came to my mind right away

    ReplyDelete
  8. its about a lizard man who now has amphibus organs and no longer needs his human ones much like the monster of the grotto and swamp monster ect

    ReplyDelete
  9. makes me think of an alligator that can breath in water

    ReplyDelete